Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Royal Society

The Royal Society
The Royal Society
The Royal Society
The Royal Society
The Royal Society

When doing a project you can usually only get so much from the internet, then after that its much more beneficial to actually go and visit the place. I emailed the Royal Society and they said I could come down and see the exhibition, I also got to meet Chris the Graphic Designer for the Society and Rupert from the Library. I even got my own name badge which I wasn't expecting! It was really great Rupert even gave me a tour of the whole building which is beautiful. I got to see where all the meetings take place as well as their amazing collection of portraits of all the fellows I even got a sneak peak of the archive room containing so many artifacts. Talking to Chris was really interesting designing for such an academic place can definitely be a hard task but it looked like an interesting one, once we got talking about the society and design I realised I actually knew a lot about the Royal Society which felt great. He also was excited about my hands on approach to celebrating the 350 years anniversary. He said it was something they struggled with - letting the public know about who they are in an innovative way that doesn't make them seem like stiff academics, as they are actually some of the most creative people in the world. He asked that I keep him updated with what I create, so we will see... It was just a great trip and well worth a visit, its so important to do primary research for a project and speak to the people who you are designing for, makes it all a lot more exciting.

No comments: